We’re looking for an experienced editor to join our team as a full-time Managing Editor, overseeing all projects from acquisition through sales. Read the full job description below.
At How2Conquer, we help our authors translate their extensive knowledge into streamlined, accessible books and workbooks. If you check out our culture and values and think you’re a good fit, we’d be honored to hear from you.
How2Conquer is an imprint of White Deer Publishing, specializing in unique how‑to books that are designed to help readers master new skills quickly. Our books generally share three things in common: use of story, an emphasis on graphics, and an encouraging tone.
White Deer Publishing is a boutique brand of publishing imprints based in Atlanta, Georgia.
Reporting to the Editor in Chief and Publisher, the Managing Editor is responsible for managing the day-to-day editorial workflow and production calendar for the How2Conquer imprint, in coordination with the Managing Editor of our other imprint; and managing the work of our editorial team.
The Managing Editor will work with the rest of the leadership team to develop leads and consider unsolicited submissions; edit, develop, and refine manuscripts; and contribute toward company development.
Along with the Assistant Managing Editor, they will also work with the production team to communicate the tone and feel of titles in order to influence design. They will work with the Illustrator to oversee storyboard planning and graphics approval. They have final approval within the production team and will prepare proofs for final approval by the Editor in Chief.
The Managing Editor will also oversee the Assistant Managing Editor’s work on the website, social media platforms, execution of marketing campaigns, and distribution networks.
This is a remote position with a central office located in Atlanta, Georgia, where we’d love to be able to host in-person co-working sessions once a month or so. Interested applicants can apply via the How2Conquer website or LinkedIn.
- Remote, reporting to central office in Atlanta, Georgia
- Salary range: $45-60,000
- Benefits include: 10 days PTO; Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance; Group Life Insurance; Short- and Long-Term Disability Insurance; SIMPLE IRA Plan with matching employer contributions
Experience and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, or a related field; or equivalent experience
- 4 years of publishing industry experience, preferably in an editorial role
- Superior organizational and project management skills, including an ability to plan for and manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Ability to self-motivate, work independently and collaboratively, manage one’s own time, and prioritize multiple tasks on a regular basis, balancing deadlines with a focus on standard of quality and key relationships
- Understand and value a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Excellent communicator and creative thinker
- Reliability and efficiency
- Attention to detail
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Experience with Adobe InDesign
- Working knowledge of WordPress
- Experience leading an editorial team
- Curiosity for new voices and ideas and breaking trends (with staying power)
- Desire to lead and coach a team, contributing to their development and growth
- Entrepreneurial spirit and drive to help new authors develop their voices
- An adaptable and flexible approach and ability to thrive in a dynamic business environment
- Some marketing experience
What You’ll Be Doing
Project and Author Management
- Work with the Assistant Managing Editor to manage project timelines and enforce deadlines
- Coordinate project timelines and staff bandwidth with the Managing Editor of White Deer Books
- Keep stakeholders apprised of each project status
- Attend team meetings and be prepared to report out on project/book status
- Serve as one of the primary contacts for authors and aid in author care
- Meet with new authors to introduce them to the book process
- Oversee and maintain author guidance documents produced by the publishing house
- Maintain contact with authors and proactively update them on their book production throughout the process
- Assist in evaluating final copy and design
- Assist the Editor in Chief with the implementation of the House Style Guide
- Assist with rounds of copyediting during the book production process
- Implement edits made by the Editor in Chief and Publisher
Submissions and Commissioning
- Promote our submissions opportunities
- Oversee the Assistant Managing Editor in review of submissions and management of the “slush pile”
- Review proposed projects and make recommendations about greenlighting projects to the Editor in Chief and the Publisher
- Provide initial manuscript feedback to projects recommended to go forward to contracting
- Provide governance around how production is organized for the publishing house
- Develop process, policy, and procedure for the company knowledge base
- Manage assistants and interns and provide guidance and direction for their learning and development
- Serve as primary contact with associations such as the Independent Book Publishers Association and Nonfiction Authors Association
- Attend events on behalf of the company
- Contribute to the look and feel of our books
- Assist in book layout and proof review
- In the absence of our Production Editor, handle production and final print coordination; coordinate the ARC process for final author sign off; oversee and manage the production of related/ancillary materials such as workbooks and downloads; and oversee and manage the production of audiobooks
Rights and Distribution
- Oversee the rights process
- Assist in developing book metadata
- In the absence of our Production Editor, manage book metadata and file uploads to our POD distributors
- Assist with bulk sales fulfillment
Website and Platforms
- Oversee the work of the Assistant Managing Editor in website updates, web copy, and other site enhancements
- Coordinate with the website vendor on major updates and improvements
- Collaborate with Director of Content Strategy to enhance website SEO, improve organic search performance, set goals for CTR and conversions, and otherwise drive site traffic
- Aid in creating web copy
- Monitor website and social media analytics
- Oversee house blog/Medium publication and editorial calendar
- Write and edit blog posts to connect with audiences and build thought leadership
- Work with the Assistant Managing Editor on author and book marketing plans
- Prepare briefs and information for book marketing based on editorial content
- Help establish and grow email lists
- Oversee the Assistant Managing Editor for the Early Reviewers/ARC program